Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Solar Power Adds to the Compost



Atlantic Giant pumpkins are good examples of solar power used by plants. They take in water and minerals from the soil, but they also collect energy from the sun.

The heavy feeders, like corn and pumpkins, have large leaves and long growing seasons to put together the carbohydrates for the fruit or seed. Sunflower produces oil and minerals, more than just about any other plant in the garden. Other stars are potatoes, dandelions, and broccoli. The cabbage family is loaded with nutrition.

I invited my gardening neighbor to toss his green trash into my compost, and he does that. My pile is on the corner of my property and adjacent to his garden. His example led me into opening up the front and back yards for gardening. Since I am breeding red wiggler earthworms in my compost, near his garden, undocumented aliens are crossing the border into his yard.

If my giant pumpkins mature in time for Halloween, some will be used by neighbors and family - as long as they don't need a flatbed truck to haul them away. Next year - I will grow some reasonable Halloween style pumpkins. I can grow very large orange ones and some white ones. I have plenty of space in the back. It can become an obstacle course for the bunnies that use the grassy alley between lots - an unusual feature in this neighborhood. Some mow their communal alley. Others let long grass grow and toss odds and ends there.

I will have leaf and vine trash in the compost. Old pumpkins will go in as well. The seeds are great for squirrels and birds, so I can put some of the guts out on the ground for their food and amusement. The interior of pumpkins is moist and gooshy, good for the compost environment.

The despised dandelion contributes too, thanks to regular mowing. Few of my dandelions grow up and spread their leaves for a big flower. The persistent herb sends down a powerful taproot, which can be pulled out only after a heavy rain. Otherwise it breaks off and starts over.

The taproot is good for drilling into soil layers, bringing up minerals, and providing an elevator shaft for soil creatures. Some have pulled up dandelions with earthworms on the taproot. "You wrecked my elevator, for a quick trip to the soil surface." What would the earthworm find at the top? - dead leaves and insects to devour and recycle in the soil. A big rosette of dandelion leaves provides shade, too.

According to the Jackson Theory of Random Activity,

"A lot of positive work will create good results over time, even when individual actions seem inconsequential." G. Jackson

I have used this theory in higher education, in earning degrees and certifications, in reading books, and in publishing. Sometimes I had to pass a certification test on property insurance, pension plans, or networking. Those tests had no plots, no interest for me. I passed 16 certification exams, failing 3 of them early on, and they definitely led to something.

In publishing - I can never predict what will have an impact, so I sow abundantly.

One leaf is nothing in compost - an entire season of leaves
will have an impact on the soil.


Creation and the Means of Grace
The Fuller-driven church planners and planters make me laugh. They run about like chickens with their heads recently removed. They earn their pay getting laity and pastors to do the same. One theory is that getting people involved keeps them as members, so manufacture activity to hold them.

Activity is great, if the Means of Grace are central:

  • More original sermons - no plagiarism.
  • More Bible studies without the Cliff Notes material.
  • More services of Holy Communion.
  • More pastor visits where the Word of God is discussed.
  • More infant baptisms during the service.


One retired WELS pastor gave up in disgust, because he said, "I never accomplished anything." He was looking at his congregation, which his fellow pastors raided after he dared to stand up to Church Growth. He did not even consider the impact of faithfully teaching the Word or communing or baptizing. He was just as brain-washed (superficially I hope) as his Fuller mentors.

If we pursue work where the Holy Spirit is united with the Word, the results will be effect and God-pleasing, not necessarily man-pleasing.

A lot of Means of Grace activity will result in grace blessing members and non-members alike.

The cucumber trash in my compost is only a tiny bit of the volume. How much good can it do? But it will contribute. Its effect will be experienced over time as the recycled organic matter rejuvenates the soil. And if I did not think so, there would be no compost, no murmuration of starlings above our house, no bunny nicknamed Agent Orange.

Agent Orange is only too happy to thin my plants,
so they have more room to grow.