Friday, September 8, 2017

John 16 - The Chapter the Lutherans Ignore - To Their Peril


John 16King James Version (KJV)

John16 
These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.

The word offended is based on the Greek word skandalon, which is not "scandal," but the trigger of a trap. Jesus has solemnly declared these things so the disciples are prepared and do not fall into the trap of thinking God has betrayed them. This is a powerful example of Jesus' teaching, both in warning against falsehood and in making great Gospel Promises.

They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

The disciples and early believers preached the Gospel in the synagogues, but Jesus warned them they would be excommunicated. Even worse, killing them would be seen by the killers as making an offering to God. Actual murder is frowned upon, but the robed enemies of God's Word do not mind killing reputations, killing income, and chanting ing a Te Deum Laudamus afterwards - with incense.
And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

This behavior comes from unbelief, even if they have spent a lifetime in the visible church, have obtained theological degrees, and served as bishops, district presidents, synod presidents, circuit pastors, and parish board chairmen. Those who deceive the most and believe the least clamor for these offices. Their hatred is not personal, though they rejoice in personal attacks - they have no knowledge of God the Father or God the Son.

But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.

Jesus' predictions are given to increase and strengthen their faith in Him in the future. When the horrible events unfolded, they could look back - with the Spirit's help - and believe even more firmly in the Gospel Promises of Jesus.

But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?
But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.

Jesus often refers to the Father and also to Him as The Who Sent Me. This journey from the eternal habitations to earth and the return, the Ascension, are part of the unified Gospel story. That is why the apostates avoid the Ascension Day service, an essential part of the Resurrection and the sermons of Jesus.

These are farewell sermons, which are the most important in the Bible. The disciples are filled with sorrow because their time with the Savior, the teacher in coming to an end, as they knew it. Sorrow has filled their heart - singular, not plural. They are all in mourning. But these warnings were essential in keeping them together in the Passion, in spite of obvious weaknesses, which we share. What strengthened them also strengthens us, through the Word.

The Holy Spirit's Work in the World
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The Ascension and the sending of the Spirit means that Jesus' local ministry became a global mission, covering the Roman Empire - thanks to roads, sea routes, and persecutions that dispersed believers.


And when he is come, he will reprove the world 
  • of sin, and 
  • of righteousness, and 
  • of judgment:
This word translated as reprove can be understood in the sense of convict, admonish, rebuke, expose. As Lenski observed, the point is not conversion, but conviction whether the individuals are converted or not.


Of sin, because they believe not on me;

The foundational sin is unbelief, not the obvious carnal sins (addictions, etc)  and the mental sins (coveting) that we often hammer without ever getting to the basis for all sin.

The Lutherans have followed the Protestant false teachers in avoiding the truth of this statement, which is central to the Bible and to Luther's Biblical teaching. 

The UOJ Lutherans (all of the synods) have withered their own synods and schools by starting out dead wrong. In the name of grace, they attack faith in Jesus, making everyone forgiven and saved without the Gospel - yet calling that the true Gospel. Not even weeds will grow in such a toxic environment. 

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

This is the righteousness of faith, which is taught clearly and repeatedly in the Augsburg Confession, the Apology, and the Formula of Concord, to mention only a few of the great treasures ignored by the Fulleroids today - at their peril.

Why do we no longer see Jesus and how is that connected with righteousness? Answer - His resurrection and Ascension mean that He has indeed conquered sin, defeated Satan, and comes to us with grace and forgiveness through the Word. Thus we should emphasize this with year-around Easter hymns and an Ascension Day (not just a Sunday, lazy-bones) Holy Communion service.

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

I prefer "tyrant" instead of prince or ruler, simply because we have watered down both words. The Greek archons were tyrants who could not be questioned. Thus Satan is the tyrant of this world, where he reigns supreme where faith if absent. Everyone bows to mammon and Satan, sometimes forgetting that God provides enough and some to spare while Satan seduces with riches and power.

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

This section is a good example of the disciples growing in their knowledge and understanding of Jesus. One of my apostate professors in seminary scoffed at this idea, but he imagined nobody understood the Parables. He certainly did not. Jesus did not overload the disciples with the truth because it was too much at one time. But even at their worst, the disciples stayed together, if only locked up in a room. In the same way God guides us and builds us through the Word as we face the challenges, griefs, and betrayals of life.



The Spirit's Work in the Disciples
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

"Guide" is actually a compound word - for guide on the road. When people ask how four Gospels could exist without contradictions or errors, this is the reason, a mystery known to believers but completely opaque to unbelievers, who look at the Bible the way a scholar looks at the Iliad or Shakespeare.

The Trinitarian work is once again evident, as in John 15. The Spirit takes from the Father and Son and speaks, showing all things yet to come.

A Little While a Little Too Often - For Emphasis
16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.
17 Then said some of his disciples among themselves, What is this that he saith unto us, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me: and, Because I go to the Father?
18 They said therefore, What is this that he saith, A little while? we cannot tell what he saith.
19 Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me?

I see this wordiness, quite unusual in John's Gospel, as an emphasis. It also has catechetical value. What did Jesus say about His absence? Answer - A little while. Many times of anguish, sorrow, pain, and anxiety seem to be a little while when those times are over.

20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.
22 And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

The rabbis have a saying that a woman curses her husband but repents more quickly when she learns it is a boy. Their story, not mine. But we all know that labor is named correctly and quickly turns from agony to joy when the baby is embraced, cleaned, fed, and warmed. That parable shows how the enormous sorrow of the disciples will quickly dissipate. "I will see you" - not "You will see me." 

23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

The Bible precedes the admonition to pray with Gospel Promises. Therefore, we have the encouragement to ask the Father anything in the Name of Jesus. Answering these prayers glorifies the Father and Son and fills us with joy. There is great satisfaction - even thrills - in seeing prayers answered in abundance.


25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

Here is a contrast between teaching that is guarded - in parables or proverbs - and that which is out in the open. He taught them when they could not really understand everything, yet the Spirit would bring those things to mind and guide them. "Yes, we remember the Parable of the Sower and how He explained it. Now we know - do not judge the Word or the soil - simply scatter the living Seed of the Word of God, carelessly, ceaselessly."

We are like that too. I learned Psalm 23 as a small child because my mother encouraged me. I read it to her as she was dying in our family room, on her hospital cot. Then I really knew what it meant. She gave a deep sigh and died in the Faith she taught me. 
29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.
30 Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.
31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?
32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

This is certainly a whipsaw passage. The disciples are certain about Jesus now and confess this truth. Jesus knows how they will be tested in the near future. "So now you believe? Soon you will be scattered.



33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

This peace is the peace of forgiveness through faith in the Savior. All of His words and sermons are aimed at faith in Him, the only source of righteousness. He did not say, "I will overcome the world," but "I have overcome the world." Even before His Atonement, Resurrection, and Ascension, His Messianic was being accomplished.