Saturday, May 12, 2018

Roses - Myrtles - Late, But Catching Up.
My Favorite Addicting Weed Arriving Soon

 Easy Does It blooms faster than anything else I have grown,
and it flowers again quickly.

I look for new roses leafing out. Some are still reluctant to green up. But I saw last year's Easy Does It in bloom already, before other roses from last year were budding. I had $5 leftover Easy Does It roses from two Internet sales, so I began searching for its name. The EDI rose seldom photographs well, but it is prolific and produces long stems. The colors vary from pure orange to softer, sunset versions of orange. I have yet to grow a rose that is ugly in bloom, but that is because I avoid buying Ketchup and Mustard.

 Ketchup and Mustard, but you guessed that already.

Easy Does It was my choice for cutting roses.

 Mr. Lincoln fills the room with a potent fragrance.


Mr. Lincoln is my favorite for fragrance, since it makes up for a bouquet of roses without any smell.

How could I forget the name? I judge the roses by their ability to adjust to our soil, our climate, so photographs of the best versions under the best circumstances tend to inflate the hopes of gardeners.

 Falling in Love, pink and white, fragrant.

That happened with Falling in Love, which a future bride was hoping to see again. She was almost speechless about what it was like. Finally I found its label and grew more of them. The next bride at the college loved it as well, so I delivered a vase when that couple became engaged.

 I pampered the two-toned CM last year,
and now it is doing well. This photo sold me on it.


Crepe Myrtle - Late to the Party - But Ever-Blooming

The mother of all Crepe Myrtles was ugly this spring, with dried seeds on top and bare branches. Its height made it uglier than the bare roses, which looked grim and dead.

I watered before the big rain, mostly to get the Calladiums started. But I also pruned the Crepe Myrtle - all seedheads, plus many extra branches trimmed away.

Would-be gardeners, gardeners, expert gardeners - God created many plants to be pruned. Every pruning energizes the roots, which promote more branches, leaves, buds, and flowers.

My mother woke us up by wiping our faces with wet washcloths. After one experience, "Wake up" and the sound of running water was enough to make us jump out of bed.

That is the effect of pruning on roses and most bushes. When I am outside, I look for seedheads and dead wood to prune away. For a new Crepe Myrtle, that might be one inche from the end. If a new rose has not leafed out, more pruning and rainwater will help.



There is no point in calling the Waaahmbulance, bemoaning what is not growing. Every year is different, bringing surprise good news and bad news. A little bit of effort, year after year, pays off.

Some basic rules based on Creation:

  • No toxins outside.
  • The humble flowers of the garden host the most beneficial insects, which eliminate the need for toxins: daisies, tick seed, mints, sunflowers, members of the carrot family.
  • All wood products are good for the soil, including tree trunks.
  • Growing roots are the source of 75% of the soil's fertility, so many so-called weeds are actually improviing the soil and worth keeping for a time.
  • Dandelions are herbs. Deal with it.
  • Pruning is the most neglected part of growing roses, which is why so many cry about their non-blooming roses.
  • Roses need elbow room to grow and plenty of moisture.
  • Stored tapwater is better than fresh chlorinated water.
  • Rainwater is best of all, so store that.
  • Coffee grounds are great for plants - eggs shells are for those who believe Internet rumors.